8.28.2008

Shoot. Can't Vote for McCain.

And I sort of liked McCain, too. He seems honest, and straight-talking. But his health policy advisor apparently had this to say about the uninsured:

"anyone with access to an emergency room effectively has insurance, albeit the government acts as the payer of last resort. (Hospital emergency rooms by law cannot turn away a patient in need of immediate care.)

"So I have a solution. And it will cost not one thin dime," Mr. Goodman said. "The next president of the United States should sign an executive order requiring the Census Bureau to cease and desist from describing any American – even illegal aliens – as uninsured. Instead, the bureau should categorize people according to the likely source of payment should they need care.

I can't really even respond to this idea. Those who are mandated to be seen in the ED are not funded, for one, and basically saying that being seen in the ED is akin to insurance is a touch daft. Sigh. If only I had enough energy for a true rant, but alas, I'm too tired already. Too many patients to see. Where could they be coming from? I wonder. See the post on the Movin' Meat blog here.

No comments: